Tuesday, October 20, 2009

In The Eye of The Beholder...

He walks into his closet and looks around at all his designer suits. He walks into his bedroom and sees his king-size bed with his beautiful wife stretched out across it lazily. He observes his kids at his beautifully carved long wooden table and the classy looking chairs with the prettiest table setting, eating breakfast that has been well cooked and set before them. He walks out of his house into his garage and sees his fleet of cars, he steps into his jaguar where his chauffeur awaits him and is driven to his office, not just any office, his chief operating officer's office, which looks more like an apartment anyway. It then starts to register wit him...

He has a bank statement that could buy him the world, a loving wife, beautiful and smart kids, a dream job, loads of friends... Basically everything. So why does he have a gun in the top drawer of his desk? Why is there that written note on his desk? Why is he sayin mental goodbyes?... He raises his hand in mock salute, opens his top drawer, pulls out his revolver, cocks it, shoves the muzzle in his mouth, nd pulls the trigger... He died in less than a minute.

As his secretary hears the noise, she walks into his office and screams as she sees the blood of a man she had admired so much. All in a blur, she contacts the police, they come rushing down nd take her statement. According to her, everything had been normal that morning, he dint seem troubled or overly-concerned bout anything. The police then contact the wife and she is shocked beyond words, she goes over it in her head repeatedly, still something doesn't fit, he was happy, wasn't he? She questions their life together, she questions their love for each other. As she arrives at the scene, she is handed a letter, she's told it was addressed to her by her husband. She opens it with shakin hands, it reads:

"my luv,
As shocking as this may seem, it was long coming. Before I explain, I need you to know that none of it was your fault, you were everything a man could hope for and want, I just wish I was man enough to give you the love you deserve. Our life together was great, regardless of what this situation depicts, please never question yourself. I was the one who was too weak to handle being a man. I guess I should explain now.
All my life I've wanted to live the life, to make all the money in the world, to marry the prettiest girl in town and to have trophy children. I always intended to be the life of the party and have the most amazing friends. I got what I wanted and it just didn't seem like enough. There was this ache inside me, I just seemed to want more but there was no more to take. So I opted for things I knew were forbidden, to me it was like a fresh challenge and I figured if I could pull it off without getting caught I'd be satisfied. You're probably wondering what I'm talkin about...
I was sleeping with my secretary.
It was never personal against you, it just felt like something challenging and exciting and when started I just couldn't stop. It killed me to come home every night and look at your beautiful face and know in my heart that I was a horrible person to betray you like that but, I had no control. I tried to end it but she refused and I was too weak a scumbag to insist. Then she got pregnant!
It was then I realized the magnitude of what I had done. I asked her to get an abortion but she refused, I tried to pay her off but still she refused, I was so lost. I couldnt share it with you for obvious reasons.
Then one night I fell asleep and I had a dream where I was watching my life replay, it was like I was there but still, I was watching myself there. When I looked closely at myself, I saw this huge gapin hole in my heart, it was just there, and every milestone or fulfilment in my life just settled around it but never filled it. At that point I understood, nothing was ever going to fill that void and the realization hurt even more.
Its a lot to ask but I hope you see why I did what I did. I admit that I was a coward and I'm sorry for the pain.
All my luv!"

With tears in her eyes she puts down the letter. She thinks it through over and over again, how could he? How could he hurt her like that? Betray everything they had! Everything they had built together? She turns around and spots the secretary and their eyes meet. The secretary knows it's all out in the open. She stares back defiantly as if to dare the wife to react but no, she turns around and walks away from all of it, the sercretary thinks she has won but what she doesn't see is the chilling look in the eye of the woman who has just been told she has been betrayed.

In the dead of the night, the wife sits on the floor outside a strange apartment with bloody hands and in them is a bloody knife. As she hears the sounds of the sirens approaching, she snaps back to reality. While the paramedics arrive and cart the dead body away, a reporter relays the info to the public, "a 28 year old secetary to the COO of the smith & co company was brutally stabbed to death by the wife of her boss, incidentally, her boss shot himself in the mouth just earlier that morning..."
As she's being handcuffed and read her miranda rights, she stares right into the camera lens and asks... "WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?"

No comments:

Post a Comment